4.03.2008

Sammy woos another lady

I'm sitting here in a hotel in the middle of no where (work travel).  So, a brief post.  First, at PT the other day, Sammy actually walked!  A real gait, of a normal dog.  He has a hopping sort of gait, and his back moves up and down, well, suddenly he walked on the treadmill!  It happened when he was doing his usual "cheating", which is when he puts his front paw on the 2 inch front part of the treadmill that does work.  We always discourage his cheating, but suddenly this week when he cheated, he started walking.  Me and L.  both looked at each other shocked.  Had we just seen that?  So, we encouraged him to cheat, and he walked again!  He wasn't even tired at all, so he went 2 extra minutes.  It was crazy to see him walk and not struggle.  Now we need to figure out how to get him to do it outside of the comfort of the water tank. 

In other news, Sammy has so many pen pals now from different web sites, and he is now an official member of Cassie's Three Legged Dog Club.  This is his new lady friend, Emma. . . She writes him (well, her mom takes dictation for her).  Because from what I've heard and read, she's a little lab genius like Sammy.  Here is her latest letter! 

Hi everyone!

My name is Emma. I want to let everyone know how great us three-legged dogs are, so my bud Sammy can find himself a good home. My owner found me when I had been at the shelter for a while and then in a foster home. She didn't know how lucky she was to bring my happy, confident, princess self home with her. I now take her for walks around the neighborhood....I think I manage to keep her outside about two hours a day! My favorite activity is chasing squirrels, and let me tell you....I may be missing a front leg, but I'm darn good at it! By the way...I'm super fast. My bud Sammy will be able to adjust to a new home, like me, in no time. I gotta tell ya', at first new things made me a little nervous...like stairs. But, us pooches are quick learners...especially us tripods. What we're missing in a leg we make up for in charm and smarts. So, give my bud Sammy a chance and he'll make sure you never go without love, attention and much more. Oh, my, and such an added bonus that Sammy has his own set of wheels. I'm so jealous!